The vernal equinox, which marks the end of winter and beginning of spring, is Wednesday at 7:02 a.m. More daylight! Warmer temperatures! Flower buds! But first ...
... a little more snow, perhaps? The National Weather Service says there is a chance of snow Monday evening and Monday night before it turns into rain Tuesday. A winter storm warning is in effect from 6 p.m. Monday to 10 a.m. Tuesday with snow accumulations possible of one to three inches, along with a tenth of an inch of ice. Winds could gust up to 29 mph and temperatures will be in the mid 30s. Visibilities could be one quarter to one half mile at times, the NWS said.
"Snow will overspread the area from the southwest late this afternoon and early this evening. The snow will then mix with and change to sleet and freezing rain overnight. The wintry mix will change to all rain early Tuesday morning before ending as rain and snow showers Tuesday evening," the NWS said. "The combination of a light accumulation of ice on top of a light accumulation of snow will make travel difficult, particularly during the Tuesday morning rush hour ... be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving."
For the first day of spring on March 20, the National Weather Service is calling for mostly sunny with a high near 42, along with a fair amount of sun for the rest of the week. Let's hope that forecast holds.
- Today: Increasing clouds, with a high near 37. Light and variable wind becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
- Tonight: Snow before 1 a.m., then snow, freezing rain, and sleet. Low around 30. East wind 13 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
- Tuesday: Rain, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all rain after 2 p.m. High near 41. East wind 12 to 17 mph becoming north 6 to 11 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Tuesday Night: A chance of rain showers before 9 p.m., then a slight chance of snow showers between 9pm and 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39. West wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 39.
- Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.