Nearly two months ago, an electrical fire charred many of his family's belongings and made the house unlivable for at least a year.
It was a shame not only for George Martin and his family, who escaped unharmed in the Sept. 7 fire at 208 Millville Ave., but also for the community, which has come to rely on Martin for his elaborate Halloween haunted houses every year for the past 14.
The house in the process of being repaired after it sustained serious smoke damage throughout the house. But Martin made enough repairs to be granted permission from the borough to hold Halloween night at his house this year.
On Thursday, thousands of people walked down Millville Avenue, where Martin held a Halloween display in front of his house. This year's theme was "witch burning," which he said is a traditional Halloween theme and coincides with the fact that the house burned.
"It's important for the children in the community," to have this event, he said.
On top of giving kids and parents a fun place to hang out on Halloween night, Martin collected donations for the fire department, which he said was great when the incident happened. The NFD has also given Martin fire alarms to hand out to parents.