Here are the top ten theatrical productions that were not musicals that I had the pleasure of attending during 2012. Click the show titles to read my original review.
10. Centennial Casting - A fun comedy at Seven Angels that included strong comic acting
9. A Bad Year for Tomatoes - A great little comedy that featured wonderful supporting characters at The Phoenix Stage Company.
8. Harvey - This odd piece at The Phoenix Stage featured great characters both visible and invisible.
7. Murdered to Death - These actors killed the big roles in this cheeky period comedy at the Phoenix Stage, especially during the second act recap of the first act.
6. Lend Me a Tenor - Wonderful costumes and excellent comic timing made this show in Goshen lots of fun.
5. Rumors - Another fun comedy featuring strong comic actors at the unique Clockwork Repertory theater in Oakville.
4. Dial M for Murder - This was a sharp play with strong actors on the Phoenix Stage.
3. Steel Magnolias - I loved this comedy/drama at the Phoenix Stage Company about strong women played by amazing local actresses.
2. Vignettes of An I-talian American Girl - Maria Baratta gives an amazing performance in this one-woman show that will be returning to Seven Angels in the new year.
1. Every Christmas Story Ever Told - The brilliant "unholy trio" of Ed Bassett, Ian Diedrich and Rob Richnavsky were a laugh riot in this holiday show that I think should definitely be brought back next year.
Congratulations to everyone involved with all of these top-notch productions.