Food burning on a stove on the first floor of a two-family house at 107 Walnut St. caused flames to spread quickly to the exhaust and surrounding cabinets at 5:30 p.m. Monday.
Nine people live in the house and everybody inside got out safely before the Naugatuck Fire Department arrived. They filled pots and pans with tap water and dumped it on the flames. Firefighters said they rolled out a hose but did not use it because they didn't want to cause more damage to the house than necessary.
While the fire damage was minimal - just the stove and cabinets were burned - the house sustained serious smoke damage throughout.
The American Red Cross has offered assistance to the families affected. But homeowner Haroldo DaSilva, who lives in the house with his wife and two children, said he's trying to get someone to clean up tonight (Monday) so that the family doesn't have to leave for the night.
The Naugatuck Fire Department responded with eight firefighters in three trucks. Firefighters remained on scene for more than an hour after the fire was extinguished so that they could ventilate the home.