BETHANY -- One of two people taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital following a garage fire at the Bethany Community mobile home park Tuesday night has died.
The woman, who is believed to be in her late 60s, was attempting to move a car that was parked in front of the garage when she suddenly slumped over the steering wheel after suffering what appeared to be a cardiac arrest, fire officials said. Neighbors lifted her out of the car and began performing CPR before EMTs arrived on scene and attempted to resuscitate her; she was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital where doctors tried to revive her. She was pronounced deceased at the hospital.
While the woman was trying to move her car, her husband tried to access his car in a prefabricated garage at unit No. 53 in the Bethany Community, a Garden Homes mobile home park, fire officials said. The wires to the garage door opener were not working because the fire damaged them, and the man also suffered a cardiac arrest, fire officials said. He, too, was taken by ambulance to Yale-New Haven Hospital and is excepted to make a full recovery, neighbors said.
Bethany Fire Marshal Rod White said the fire is going to be ruled accidental, as it appears it was potentially caused by an electrical problem.
The names of the victims are not being released to the media at this time.Read the original article from Tuesday night’s fire here.