.

Motorcycle Worker Causes Fire in Naugatuck

A Pearl Road family was displaced Saturday night when a man working on his motorcycle accidentally caused a fire.

 

A fire at 41 Pearl Road in Naugatuck Saturday night broke out when the homeowner's son spilled gasoline while working on a motorcycle in the garage, firefighters said.

The man, believed to be in his 20s, had removed a gas tank from the motorcycle and set it on the ground while the tank still had gasoline in it, Fire Chief Ken Hanks said. The gas spilled on the floor and ignited with a kerosene heater, he said.

"The guy dove through a wall of flames of get out," Hanks said. "He is very lucky."

Hanks said the motorcycle was destroyed in the fire, as was Volvo and a Corvette. The Corvette has a plastic fuel tank, he said, all of the gasoline poured out and helped fuel the fire.

The fire quickly spread to a attic in the attached house, and the homeowners made it out safely. Nobody was injured, firefighters said.

Firefighters responded to the call just after 8 p.m. and had the fire under control within 20 minutes, Hanks said.

The 1,400-square-foot ranch house on Naugatuck's west side - off of Hoadley Terrace - was built in 1950 and is owned by Donna and Alan Hadzega, according to Naugatuck land records. The house sustained significant fire damage in the garage, which was a total loss, and roof. It also had major water and smoke damage throughout the building. 

The family will be displaced while the home is being repaired. It could take several months before the home is inhabitable again, Hanks said.

The family has living arrangements and did not require assistance from the American Red Cross, Hanks said.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something